I'm going to make something - or part of something - every day, and I'm going to post photos to keep myself accountable.
A daily blog post feels like it would take too much time away from the creative process, so instead I'll tweet about it, and do an occasional summary post. People already tweet (and Instagram, and Tumblr, and all that jazz) using #whatImade #whatImadetoday and #workinprogress, but I thought it would be more fun if I created a hashtag for anyone to use who'd like to try such a challenge for themselves. Hence #30DaysOfMaking. Join me! The only rule is that you post a photo daily with the hashtag of something you are making by hand.
Here's what I'm making today:
|The Doctor Who fan club scarf pattern from the early 80s, republished here by PBS and also discussed in minute enough detail to warm any geek's heart at doctorwhoscarf.com.|
|Yarn for the Doctor's Scarf.|
Updates on the Doctor's scarf (other projects will get their own posts):
Day 1: casting on, very slowly. I need to find my task lamp!
|Day 2 (before unravelling and restarting)|
video tutorials from Wool and the Gang very helpful, and local-to-me knitting podcaster By The Fibreside suggested that this video would show me how I was making the accidental increases, and more importantly, how to avoid them. (I was totally doing the first thing.)
I forgot to take a photo on Day 3 (d'oh!), but I measured what was knitted so far and did some calculations on that day. 32 rows on US#5 needles is 4 inches in the Season 12 Acheson Hero pattern (PDF), and 16 rows is 2 inches when I knit on US#9 needles, so I could have continued with the pattern without further adjustments. However, I realized that, if the Season 12 scarf was 20 feet long, perhaps it should be half that for an 8 year old, in addition to being narrower. I could accomplish that by not knitting all the stripes, or by adjusting the number of rows in the pattern - I decided to do the latter, and all the numbers were divided by two.
|End of Day 4. Starting to look suitably Whovian,|
now that I've figured out how to change colours.